Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lost and Found

After surviving this past week in the Phoenix sun, we are convinced that daytime outdoor activities in the summer are not a good idea. I guess that makes us locals at last. For this reason, last night we decided to take a post dinner bike ride. With the babies strapped into their carriage and the rest of us on our bikes, we headed to the dirt trail near our house.

This was a big event for Emmry as most of her riding thus far has been done as a passenger on the back of my bike. Memories of a fall last fall that sent her to the ER also filled her head, so it was with a bit of trepidation that she mounted her bike. To our amazement she rode nearly two miles with no complaint. Braden on the other hand tried his best to be patient, but a nine-year-old can only hold back so long. We therefore soon found it necessary for the peace of the family to split up with Ryan, the babies, and Braden going on ahead.

When I arrived home with Emmry, Ryan and I discovered that Braden had not been with either of us. It was late and very dark and with Braden still unfamiliar with the area, we were worried. After twenty minutes of looking on our own, we called the community patrol who instructed us to also contact the police. Ryan always has to play the cool one in these situations as I am much better at the role of frantic parent.

Thankfully prayers are answered. As I drove around I plead for help, and somewhere out there in the dark Braden did the same. From this prayer I felt truly inspired to go to the neighbors for help. Our neighbor found Braden within ten minutes. He had been circling the same trail for an hour which crossed the street only once. We feel truly blessed that their paths crossed. When Braden saw the headlights coming he said he felt he should wait and see if the car would stop. And using his words, "It did."

And what does a nine-year-old boy say to his frantic Mom after being lost in the dark for an hour? "Mom, I would have found my way home by morning."

How grateful we are for a loving Heavenly Father who answers our prayers.

2 comments:

Ben and Laurie said...

That's a neat story for a primary bulletin board! Just kidding. I think it is awesome when both of your prayers are answered at once.

Natalie said...

I am so glad Braden is safe. What an amazing story, and I'm sure quite the testimony builder. Your family sure is growing up. The kids are adorable! I have enjoyed reading your posts. We are in OK now and all doing great! I just started a blog, richnanhoward.blogspot.com