Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sedona Race

I have never really wanted to run a marathon, or even a half-marathon. I wondered how anyone could, and why anyone would, run so far for so long. But I was inspired over the fall and recruited a few "volunteers" to train with me. My mom was supportive, volunteered to take pictures, and offered some advice she obtained from a marathon runner: his secret, find a cute girl and follow her for the duration of the race.

After four months of training, my recruits and I headed for Sedona, Arizona. Touted as one of the most scenic runs in the nation, the Sedona race coarse progresses through the gorgeous red rocks
that typify the area. Of coarse, it was a little difficult to enjoy.
As you can see in the elevation map, none of the running was on flat ground. We had heard it was hilly terrain, but we had no idea the hills would be the envy of every child holding a snow sled. The 5k gained a total of 150 feet in elevation and the half-marathon a total of 1100 feet! The race was an out and back - half way through there was a turn around. Every hill we descended in the first half gnawed in the back of our minds throughout the race... we knew we would have to run back up them. It was utterly exhausting at times... and where was my training partner to encourage me?

Ryan and I had made a pact. Our plan was to start together and end together, for better or for worse. But just one mile into the race I see my partner pull away a quarter mile in front of me where he stayed for the duration.

Then there was the promise of adrenaline. We had heard of the rush of adrenaline that would see us through the end of the race. Where was our adrenaline? The last mile and a half of the run was all uphill. Every turn we made there was another hill and someone cheering that we were almost there. With every turn there was no finish line and no adrenaline, just a nagging voice in the back of my head telling me not to walk. If I walked I knew I would never make it under two hours, which was the goal, and with the difficulty of the coarse I would be lucky to make it. When I finally turned the corner on the finish line, relief swept over me, yet still no adrenaline.

Ryan's time was 1:57:04, finishing in twelfth place in his division of 35, 118th of 554 overall. My time was 1:59:10 in eighth place in my division of 46, 135th of 554 overall. Amazingly, the full marathon runner came in just 45 minutes later at a new coarse record of 2:44:22. My other recruits, Braden and my sister Maggie, finished their 5k in good form as well. Braden finished at 29:23 in 15th place of 66 in his division, 107th of 636 overall.

Would I run a half-marathon again? Sure, but probably not this one. I'm happy to say I've done it though. I feel a great sense of accomplishment. I did something I never thought I would! It seems I can be proud of setting a pretty good pace too. After the race a man approached me and thanked me. He said I set a great pace and that he followed behind me for the duration of the race. Well, if I couldn't inspire my husband, at least I could inspire someone!

1 comment:

Summer said...

Wow! I'm impressed! Great job, huffmans!