Thursday, June 24, 2010

Getting Old

There comes a time in your life when your kids are old enough to outperform you in a task and you realize they are no longer the little ones whose bottoms you wiped for all those years. And though I can still best most my children in any activity, Braden has begun to surprise me. It started with board games, moved on to racquetball, and now that swim team has started, I'm completely losing my footing.

Today Braden and Emmry both competed in the first swim meet of the season. This is Emmry's first year in swim team and though she describes it as "long," she enjoys the heightened status that is associated with it. She competed in a 25 and 50 meter freestyle race, and while she did amazing and came home with a third place ribbon, I would have had no trouble finishing before her. Braden on the other hand competed in the 50 and a 100 meter freestyle, taking third and second respectively. His time on the 100 meters... 1:27.

The problem with this lies in the fact that the previous day in my swim class we swam a 100 free for time. I swam it in 1:37. So the next day I told my coach I wanted to beat my 11-year-old son's time. "That's doable," he tells me. So I swam fast, I kept my head down, I lengthened my stride, I waited to pull through, I kept my arm over the barrel pulling as much water as I could. I was sure I had him. My time... 1:35.

Now I'm faced with the question: does this mean that I'm getting old? Possibly it's just that Braden is getting older. Oh... either way... it means I'm getting old.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Wow! Impressive Braden! I bet he loved beating Mom! They ARE getting so grown up! Andrew can beat me any day at chess and occasionally helps me with my computer problems! I'm sure that's just the beginning.

thederricks said...

Way to go Braden and Emme!