Monday, August 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Girls!


Sharing a birthday has got to be tough. As a twin you have to share everything already - a room, friends, toys, clothes... even underwear. It's always they, not she. It's always them, not her. It's all about sharing and compromising. But, I just know they're thinking, "Really? Do I really have to share my birthday too?"

Three is a fun birthday. It's the age they really begin to understand it. They talk about it for months after, they sing happy birthday at any moment, and they want to buy everything "for my birthday." So I wanted to make it special for them (I mean her and her). Our first compromise was the birthday dinner. Chloe loves peanut butter, Hadley does not. Hadley loves french fries, Chloe does not. Compromise: they both love snacks (imagine this in unison, "Snack, mama, snack)! Their birthday dinner consisted of cheese and crackers, deli turkey, olives, corn on the cob and melon. Braden deemed it the best dinner ever!

Our second compromise was the birthday cake. The girls have an obsession with princesses which has only deepened since our trip to Disneyland. (Whose idea was that anyway?) While they love them all, Hadley has developed a fondness for Snow White and Chloe for Belle. Voila! We made a Siamese princess!

The girls had a wonderful birthday, compromises and all. The best moment of night for me was easy. It wasn't our snack dinner, our swim party, the presents or the cake. The best moment was producing two beautiful new princess dolls - one Belle, one Snow White - and then seeing two empty-handed-girls look on as their mom ripped the legs off and jammed them into a cake. They went into a hysterical fit! I really wish I had that picture to share.
In all, it was a wonderful 3rd birthday and we're looking forward to year three. Their vocabulary is improving and they can be caught jabbering away to each other. My favorite things they say? "Chloe, so cute!" "That really hurt!" "I love my mama." And when you ask them how old they are, "One, three, two."
Though I hear the older they get the easier it will be, I am thankful today they are just three. They still don't know any better. Sharing things like birthdays... and underwear... is still great fun!

No comments: