Saturday, August 22, 2009

Fleeting Moments

What memories do you have of your great-grandparents? Mine are pretty patchy. I remember a few things here and a few things there. I remember visiting my great-grandmother Gankee and her siblings at their small home in Salt Lake. Right as you entered their home you climbed a few steps and were in their kitchen. In the second drawer down they always had cookies. They had a wheel chair out back that we liked to ride on. I also remember visiting with great-grandparents at Mommy Allo and Pappy's home (my grandparents). They sat in a rocking chair. That's it.

Mommy Allo and Pappy are now in their mid-90s. I took my children over to visit while we were in Utah a month ago. What do they remember? They remember Pappy in a wheel chair. They remember him asking them questions and saying what beautiful children they are. But they are constantly talking about Mommy Allo. "Mommy Allo paint my nails," they say. "Go to Mommy Allo's house."

It's interesting the memories we hold on to. The moments are so fleeting, but the memories can last forever. My girls will always remember their great-grandmother Mommy Allo and how she painted their nails!

No comments: