Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Black Belt

Braden reached a pivotal point in his Taekwondo training tonight. After nearly three years of training, Braden was invited to test for his black belt. He was visibly worried, but physically and mentally prepared. He performed 11 forms and four knife defences, sparred a third degree black belt, and broke boards with five different kicks and punches. He is the youngest at his training facility to receive the rank of First Dan (black belt) and we are very proud of him.

Braden is a bit in denial and continues to reiterate that he cannot believe he is a black belt. His belt is proof though and when we got home he pulled it out just to be sure. He has carefully cut the extra threads from where his name was embroidered on the belt, wrapped it in a sack, and plans to take it to school tomorrow to show his class.

One of Braden's requirements for his black belt was to write an essay on how Taekwondo has affected his life. We have included the essay. Way to go Braden!

I think taekwondo is a great martial art. When I was six I watched the movie “Karate Kid” and decided that I wanted to do a martial art. When I first started at Asian Sun, I went every day that I could. I loved class, especially when I was by myself because the teachers would teach me more advanced kicks. My favorite part about class was forms. I liked how they taught me to move like a martial artist. As I got better, I liked making up my own forms. My favorite part about class now is breaking. I think it’s fun to break the boards.

I was excited when Beachwood started a team. I liked going to the tournaments and wanted to work harder to get better. When I went to my first tournaments, I was so out of breath after sparring. They were very hard. But after joining team and training twice a week, it became much easier. In team we learned to work hard and listen to our coaches. I learned that I could do anything I wanted, even if it was very, very hard. A great example was when we would do “burn-outs” at the end of team. Running back and forth was very tiring and sometimes I wanted to stop. But, I didn’t and I know I can do it now. I noticed the difference at this last tournament I competed in. Because of my hard work, I was not so out of breath and I won the match.

When I move to Arizona, I will be on my way to becoming a great martial artist and I will have my black belt. I feel like I have accomplished a lot. I have become more flexible, stronger, smarter and confident. I have learned discipline, respect, and how to listen to others. I know these are things that will help me throughout my life. I will continue working hard in Arizona to reach my goal of competing in the Junior Olympics. I am grateful for my teachers and Asian Sun for helping me develop such wonderful skills and starting me on my way to become a great martial artist.

2 comments:

Hendry Happenings said...

In my eyes, Braden is still six and could never be grown up enough to be getting his black belt. Where has time gone? You are looking like one hot mamma. I would never guess that you are mother of four and twins at that!

Summer said...

WOW! That's impressive! Congratulations, Braden!