Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gardening


Spring has sprung and for many, including a few in my family, that means time to pull out the planting soil, shovels, and watering cans.

I could never be considered one to have a green thumb. I have had an occasional live plant in the house, but they don't last long. Ryan and I have grown herbs, pumpkins and tomatoes in some of the different places we've lived with varying success, but Arizona looks to be a bit more difficult.

So far our only Arizona gardening venture came last year when the kids gave me tomato plants for Mother's Day. Braden was vigilant in taking care of them, watering them twice a day to overcome the stifling heat. And we did get some, perhaps a half dozen or so, tomatoes to grow.

This year my budding gardeners are branching out. Braden has decided to grow avocado trees and we currently have three pits germinating by our kitchen sink. They say it takes two or three years before they produce fruit. I guess it will be a while before we see how avocados like the Arizona heat.

Perhaps Hadley's plant will do better. Hadley's growing a chocolate plant. Apparently no germinating is needed as she removed the "pit" (macadamia nut) from her Hershey kiss and plopped it right in the ground, burying it with a mound of dirt. She has been diligently watering it, but so far she tells me only flowers have grown. If a baby tree heavily ladened with kisses doesn't sprout soon I think she'll be devastated.

Actually we all will be!

No comments: