Saturday, March 5, 2011

Why do we run?


Wake up before 6 a.m., run for 13 miles, and pay to do it? Who does that and really why would they? These are the things I asked myself as I dragged myself out of bed at 5:30, fed a four-month-old, and dressed for the annual Run for Ryan's House.

The Run for Ryan's house helps raise funds for a home for children undergoing life threatening illnesses and their families while they are being treated away from home. The house is named after Ryan, a 4th grader at Braden's school, who benefited from a similar home while being treated in England.

Braden and I joined another 1200 plus people Saturday morning by tying up our running shoes, donning our numbers, and standing at the start line. It was quite an experience, with principle, teachers, parents, students and others racing, cheering, and volunteering. Braden received a medal by placing second in the 5k in his age division, running a personal best of 25:21. I ran a personal best also of 1:51:12, but was really just thrilled to finish on my feet.

So why do we run? We run for a cause, we run for the thrill, we run to keep our sanity (ok the last one is just me).

No comments: