Thursday, October 8, 2009

Arrow of Light


Tonight Braden received his cub scout "arrow of light" award, the highest award a boy can earn in cub scouts, and the only award that can be worn on the boy scout uniform. Is it obvious that I'm in charge of scouting?

As the person in charge I naturally hosted the event in my backyard. It was a bit exciting for us as it was our first official "event" in our backyard and with tiki torches aglow and the fire pit blazing, the mood was perfect for the ceremony. The official "arrow of light" ceremony was performed by a group of "Indians" with a lot of fire and fanfare.

While I'm sure every other parent was looking on with pride as their son handled the arrow, pulled back on the bow, received their award, and crossed the bridge from cubs to boy scouts, all I could think of was who decided that having a fire ceremony in their backyard in the middle of a dry desert sounded like a good idea?

We're proud of you! Congrats Braden!

1 comment:

Trish Derrick said...

Way to go Braden! What a good mom you are Cyndee. I love scouting and served with both boys. What a great thing BSA is.