Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Are You Kidding Me?


"Are you kidding me?," is a phrase I've found that I'm often repeating lately. It's amazing to me the kind of trouble a toddler can cause in the literal blink of an eye.

Week three in Utah has been spent sewing Emmry's summer project. At the beginning of the summer Emme decided it would be fun to make a dress. Having only sewed from a pattern on one other occasion, I decided my extended trip to Utah with my mom at hand might be the perfect place for this project. At week three, I was definitely feeling the pressure of our looming departure date as I struggled through my "Easy to Sew" dress. (Isn't there an "Easiest to Sew" category?)

Like any perfect, wonderful children, mine seem to find trouble when they are left to themselves for too long. Don't believe me? Read back a bit. I was working on the hem (which means I'm almost done, hallelujah!) when Braden came running into the sewing room with our dog cradled in his arms dripping blood. Blood! Blood matted all in the dogs hair, in my mom's new carpet, and most likely on a twin. After a quick sponge bath it was clear the source of the blood was a cut on the dog's ear. Hadley was quickly produced holding a pair of scissors which also explained Chanel's interesting new haircut.

As I tried to curtail the bleeding in the bathroom I registered a familiar sound coming from the other room. With the threat of the dog's life currently on hold I dropped Nell to the ground and rounded the corner to find Chloe pushing the pedal on the sewing machine where I had left Emme's nearly complete dress.

Are you kidding me?

No one tells you it will be this hard, but as with all things, it is completely worth it. After stopping the bleeding, cleaning up the blood, and unstitching the dress I peeked in on my kids in bed. They really are perfect and wonderful, aren't they?

No comments: