Thursday, April 2, 2009

Staying Happy, Come What May


I recently read some advice from Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of our church.

He said, "The way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life." He advised us to learn to laugh.

It was with this council that I approached my day yesterday. With no problems in the morning, I hit mid-day with a triumphant stride... a stride that ran me right into two two-year-olds covered in chocolate. How they pulled those fudge bars from the freezer I am not sure, but they are crafty. And when one can't figure it out, the other one is sure to.

Deep breathe. Genuine laugh.

A bit later Braden asked me why there was chocolate all over the couch.

Deep breathe. Laugh.

Next the dog was found with chocolate drippings.

Deeper breathe. Forced laugh.

I was wiping up the couch when I noticed water running. Quick calculation. How long had that been going? Too long. There was one girl in the tub acting as receiver, the other making deliveries... blankets, dolls, beach towels, dress ups.

Deep breathe, deeper breathe. Smirk.

So I spent a bit of time wringing out some things in the sink before I rounded the corner to the girls' bedroom. What are the brown puddles on the carpet? Chocolate.

Deep breathe with a smack on the end. Grimace. Good thing I have plenty of wet towels.

After twenty minutes on my hands and knees I think I have managed the crisis quite well. The melted fudge bars have been cleaned from every surface, except the dog (Sorry Nell!), and the wet items have been put in the washing machine. I have reacted to my adversity well. Elder Wirthlin would be proud.

But wait, on the kitchen floor is a corner of a chocolate chip bag and a pair of scissors. Now not everyone would have the eye and experience to know that those two things equal trouble, but I have been highly trained by the best.
It did not take long before I found my sweeties outside on the trampoline with not one, but two opened bags of chocolate chips.

Sigh. Get the camera. Maybe I'll laugh later.

Elder Wirthlin must not have had twins.

5 comments:

Summer said...

Wow! How do you do it?! AMAZING!!!

Mag said...

I am so glad that you have the twins and not me - think i might have sold them on e-bay long ago!

Hendry Happenings said...

Carrington would get along so well with the twins.

myndie said...

you know, if you need a break sadie did offer to take them for one weekend. I think the nancy drew in her wants to decipher their secret twin lingo. we had so much fun with them (and you guys), can't wait to do it again!

Seriously... said...

how are you?? I happened on your blog via Carrie Ann's.....i'm loving the chocolate chips on the trampoline....sounds like one of my days (I gave 6 baths to 3 little boys today). How are you liking post-cleveland life??? We enjoyed not having a snowy easter :) Anyway....good to see you're doing well!