Saturday, January 24, 2009

No Gum Allowed

When I was growing up my mom had a rule about gum. It was simple, no gum allowed in the house. I don't know what event spurred the creation of the rule, though I do not doubt there was one. We are a bit more liberal with gum in our house, though we do have a rule: you can chew it, but when you spit, the gob of gum must go in the toilet or a tissue which then goes directly in the trash. It's a bit longer than my mom's rule, but it seems to have worked as we have had no gum incidents in our home.

Today was cleaning day. Cleaning day is a family affair with everyone busy with their assigned undertaking. The babies are good at scrubbing the insides of toilets, a task I am happy to pawn off, but otherwise not much help. Today while we were diligently scrubbing and sweeping, Chloe found Emmry's nail polish that was left out in the bathroom. It is a wonderful shade of bubble gum pink and looks divine on Emmry's fingers and toes. It does not look so divine painted all over a two-year-old or spilled on cream Berber carpet.

No, we have no rule banning gum in our house. What we do have is a ban on nail polish.